Thursday, May 7, 2009

Guayaquil Temple





The highlight of yesterday was going to the Guayaquil LDS temple! It was SO beautiful, and there was just such a drastic difference from it and the rest of the city. Very clean and welcoming. President Gordon B. Hinckley dedicated it in 1999, so it's still pretty new. There were lots of members from the city there with us, and it was just a really equal feeling there.

We started yesterday off by getting picked up at 6:50 am by wonderful driver, Luis, and we went to Vernaza to have another day of clinical. Debbie, our instructor, taught a CPR class to a group of nursing assistants at the hospital who had just gotten off of work from the night shift. They were tired, but stayed pretty awake through it! Debbie did a really good job because the original plan was to watch the official CPR video in Spanish, but it was having some malfunctions...so Debbie just taught it in Spanish.

Ryan and I stayed the rest of the day in the Intensive Care Unit, which has only been around for a year. It's basically has all the same machines and things as the ones I've been in for clinical in Utah. I wasn't sure exactly what to do, but I somehow started taking blood pressures, temperatures, etc. That's not normally hard, but I couldn't figure out how to use a mercury thermometer. Really I had to ask someone 3 times how to read it...somethings you just have to learn outside of school. So after I thought I was done with that, I went over to watch some stuff with the other nurse and Ryan when a lady came over asking "donde vas? donde vas?" I guess she was wondering where I went and why I wasn't taking vitals anymore, and she seemed kind of mad. (I couldn't understand a lot of what she was saying most of the day, but nonverbal communication was very helpful. ) So I promptly went over and helped once i figured out that she needed me to keep doing it. By that time, I'd figured out the thermometers so it went a little faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment