Friday, May 15, 2009

Hogar de Cristo






I am feeling SO MUCH BETTER. Thanks to prayers and some antibiotics...I felt 100% better on Friday. Big turn around! I was really glad too because we went to Hogar de Cristo today to build a house. Two houses between 10 of us. Well 10 of us and then a couple workers who actually knew what they were doing! We met the families that the houses were for, and they were there for the day with us. One family made a huge lunch for one of the work crews. The community they live in is almost completely full of Hogar de Cristo houses. One family I know had been living with neighbors for 3 years, so they were pretty excited to have a house of their own. The group I was in had the main worker, his little apprentice son (Junior), and then 2 neighbors helping him. It was really great that there were people that wanted to help and be so involved, BUT I don't think they wanted our help too much. They knew how to do it, and how to do it fast...so we felt just kinda in the way. There was more watching than I hoped, which was kind of frustrating at first...I just hate feeling useless when I'm wanting to help. We did some hammering (which I am not so skilled at by the way....it took me like 10 minutes to get a nail into some bamboo! haha....no exaggeration. This is a picture of my first nail.) Our house got finished first, so then we were able to go over and help with the other house a little bit. The other house was mainly students, so we were actually helpful! Did a lot of playing with the little kids in the community...so cute. They are fascinated by cameras. I had my video camera on the tripod and the little kids would run in front of it and just yell or meow like a cat, etc...

We had another health fair at a stake center and taught CPR. When I was helping set up the CPR stuff, 4 primary boys came in and were pointing at the mannequins and talking saying "boca a boca!" (mouth to mouth) and then were practicing pounding on their chests. I'm pretty sure I had NO idea what CPR was when I was that little. This 7 year old, Jeremy, was really into it...totally serious about learning, and he actually remembered how to do it. The part where you have to ask if the person is conscious, he was like "Mama...Mama! Hola Mama?" hahah...so cute! (But also kind of sad! ) He was my favorite part of the day!

After that we got to experience what a Ecuador Singles' dance is like. SO FUN. Half of us went to a dance for a couple of the LDS stakes in Guayaquil with on of the church representatives, Gunther. He tried to teach us how to dance. Really we were all hopeless white girls with no hips...ghetto dancing. Once again, Big Willy needed to be there! We were all in our BYU polos and scrubs from the health fair (everyone else had dresses and ties on), so I think that people liked to laugh at us. I'm sure they needed some extra entertainment for the night. Really, it was one of the biggest highlights of the trip so far! Everyone just gets in lines and dances across from each other and the music NEVER STOPS. We were only there for a little bit, but we got a little taste of latin dancing for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment