Friday, May 8, 2009

Lighthouse





I just got done hand-washing my clothes in my bathtub. No one's really sure where to wash your clothes around here...so that's what I resorted to! And clothes pile up when you run as it turns out. One of the guys in my group said he was down to the last pair of his scrubs today, and I asked if that meant he had a different pair everyday. Yep! But some of us just decided that we'd have just one tuberculosis-infected pair of scrubs and just be gross and wear the same ones everyday. :) So that's what we did.

We had our Emergency Room experience today. The room was called "Reanimacion"...like a resuscitation room. It's different because people are in there for days. Different than in the US, because they get you out of the ER as soon as you're fairly stabilized in the states. Let's see...I changed some briefs...aka diapers... with the nurses, tried to start an IV, and turned some patients. There was one patient with high blood sugar, one with a heart attack, one with AIDS, one in a car accident, and some people with undiagnosed problems. It is super crowded in there! There is literally only like a foot and a half between most of the beds. The nurses we worked with were very friendly and kindly told Ryan that I didn't speak very good Spanish. Haha. Welp...at least I understood that. :) These are some pictures of some of the nurses we were with. When I showed the picture on my camera to the lady with blonde hair, she kept talking about how she looked so good. She made sure she put her hair down and fluffed it a lot before the photo. Loved that.

Tonight a few of us went up the lighthouse (444 steps to the top...each one numbered). And my roommates soon found out how much I really sweat. Feels like Tennessee, but worse. We climbed to the lighthouse and came across a lot of young love and PDA. But the view was BEAUTIFUL as you could see the whole city.

No comments:

Post a Comment